Research Associate, Virus Evolution and Engineering We are hiring a passionate Research Associate to join our team of scientists to optimize our Directed Evolution platform. The Research Associate will work as part of a highly collaborative and interdisciplinary team, employing cutting-edge tools and techniques to develop more effective oncolytic viruses. At IGNITE, the Research Associate will be a critical member of the foundational technical team not only identifying improved viruses, but also actively engineering virus for improved cancer therapy. As a member of a small team, the Research Associate will have the opportunity to learn a wide-range of new skills and to shape R&D best practices in a highly collaborative and stimulating environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Employ a high-throughput mindset to develop innovative tools and techniques to genetically engineer live oncolytic viruses, including BSL2 infectious virus
- Maintain and develop human cell lines
- Transform microbes and transfect human cell lines
- Use state-of- the-art DNA assembly techniques to build DNA assemblies
- Apply knowledge of statistics, cell biology, and biochemistry to the analysis of a broad-range of data -- including but not limited to PCR, qPCR, Sanger sequencing, NGS, spectrophotometry, DNA and protein electrophoresis, western blotting, etc.
- Prepare media and buffers
- Purchase and inventory laboratory materials
- Be a conscientious team member and follow EH&S standards
- Effective verbal and written communication of experimental results toteam members
- Maintain an electronic laboratory notebook and an up-to- date understanding of relevant scientific literature
- Follow, optimize, and write complex SOPs
Education and Experience
- B.S. with 2+ years working experience, or M.S. with 1+ years of working experience
- Technical training in microbiology/virology, molecular biology, immunology, biochemistry, or engineering
- Familiarity with laboratory equipment: plate readers, spectrophotomers, thermal cyclers, microscopes, etc.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, Geneious, ImageJ, Softmax Pro, GraphPad Prism, or similar software platforms
- Special consideration will be given to candidates with demonstrated achievement in 1+ of the following areas: Virus propagation, titering, or purification. Synthetic Biology (e.g. gene editing, library generation, higher-order DNA assembly, high-throughput screening (in vivo or in vitro), bioassay development, stable cell line generation, software scripting.
- Must receive and maintain required vaccinations.